Tuesday, July 21, 2009

School Blessings

When I was a little girl our family had a tradition, that prior to starting a new school year my dad would give each child (that wanted one) a Father’s Blessing. This blessing was special as it came from our dad to us and it was given to help us through the upcoming school year. Well as you know Lucas is now in first grade and Mason in preschool and I wanted them to have the same experience I did. So for Family Home Evening we talked with the boys about the priesthood and why grandpa has the priesthood and what he can do with it. I told them about when I was little and would get a special blessing to help me in school. Then we asked each of the boys if they would like grandpa to give them a special blessing. Instantly they both said yes. Lucas went first, then Mason. Once Mason was done Jill ran to the chair, sat down and looked up at grandpa and says “My Turn”. How can you say no? So Grandpa gave Jill a sweet little blessing. Lastly was our Aunt Sam who also took the opportunity to get her school blessing even though she still has a couple weeks till her school starts again. Then to close our Family Home Evening we made “Back to School” cookies. They were pre-made, just bake cookies with school buses on them. I am so proud of my kid’s decision to have the blessing. I am also so very grateful for my Dad and the Priesthood that he holds and his willingness to bless my children. Thank you Dad!

4 comments:

Alison said...

We have always maintained that tradition with our kids too and the little ones always had one as well. But food for thought --- Jeff always gives me one too because moms need to be blessed with organization, patience, etc. when school starts. You should have your dad give you one too!

The Esslinger Family said...

I know where Lucas gets his memory, I totally didn't remember that until you mentioned it, I love how you are starting traditions!

Amy Lawson said...

Thank you for running down memory lane. My dad used to do that to and I didn't realize how much I would miss having the preisthood in my home. Aren't we so lucky to have our daddy's.

Jeff and Kristy said...

My dad would do that too and I remember it being so special. I'm glad your dad could do that for them.